Requirements for the Major
Learning Outcomes for the Program in Science Management
The Science Management major aims to prepare students to be leaders at the interface of science and business and in related fields.
In addition to the general departmental goals, students completing a major in Science Management should demonstrate the ability to:
- Master the principles in their specific sequence/track (molecular biology, environmental biology, chemistry, physics, or other fields) and acquire the ability to apply them to solving problems including research questions.
- Master the fundamental principles of economics and accounting.
- Gain experience in the world outside the classroom.
Courses required for the Science Management major:
1. Core Program:
- CHEM 014L KS , CHEM 015L KS - Basic Principles of Chemistry, or CHEM 029L KS - Accelerated General Chemistry, or CHEM 040L KS and CHEM 015L KS - Introduction to Biological Chemistry, or CHEM 042L KS -Integrated Biology & Chemistry .
- BIOL 040L KS - Introduction to Biological Chemistry, or BIOL 043L KS and BIOL 044L KS - Introductory Biology, or BIOL 042L KS -Integrated Biology & Chemistry andBIOL 044L KS -Introductory Biology . * Students who wish to specialize in the Physics sequence have the option of taking PHYS 033L KS - PHYS 034L KS , PHYS 030L KS -PHYS 031L KS in lieu of Biology for their Core Program.
- MATH 030 PZ -Calculus I
- Computer Science CS5 HM or CSCI051 PO. Introduction to Computer Science
- CSCI 051 CM Introduction to Computer Science
- ECON 052 PZ Principles of Microeconomics - Principles of Microeconomics
- ECON 086 CM Accounting for Decision Making - Accounting and Decision Making
- ECON 105 PZ Microeconomic Theory - Microeconomic Theory
- ECON 091 PZ Statistics - or other statistics course, preferably with R ( e.g., BIOL 175 KS Applied Biostatistics )
- ECON 151 CM Strategic Cost Management
- ECON 134 CM - Corporate Finance
- ORST 135 PZ Organizational Behavior
- A course in Ethics (e.g., PHIL 125 HM-01, CSCI 181R JT-01, BIOL 053 PO, PHIL 198 CM, PHIL 189 CM, ECON 156 CM)
- Project Management Fundamentals. This requirement can be met by taking one of the following:
- E183 HM. Management of Technical Enterprise (offered in FA)
- ECON165 CMC. Industrial Organization (offered annually; cannot be double-counted for the corporate fiinance requirement)
- ECON150 PO. Industrial Organization (offered in SP; note that course is impacted)
- ALS403 KGI. Team Master’s Project (taken in conjunction with a TMP senior thesis)
- Senior Thesis. Majors must complete a thesis as the capstone requirement to the major. Options include either a 2-semester Team Master’s Project (TMP) or a one- or two-semester science thesis in Biology, Chemistry, or Physics (191, 188L/190L, 189L/190L).
2. Areas of Concentration:
All majors must complete an area of concentration track with a minimum of five courses. Representative examples are below.
a. Chemistry Track
- Chemistry 116L-117L. Organic Chemistry
- Chemistry 126L or Chem127L. Advanced Laboratory in Chemistry
- 2 additional upper-division chemistry courses
b. Physics Track
Please note that MATH 111 CM Differential Equations is a prerequisite for most upper-division physics courses. MATH 111 CM is equivalent to MATH 102 at Pitzer, Pomona, or Scripps.
c. Biophysics Track
d. Biotechnology Track
- Chemistry 116L-117L. Organic Chemistry
- 3 additional upper-division biology classes (at least one with lab). Recommendations include:
e. Neuroscience Track
f. Environmental Management Track
At least 2 courses in this sequence must have an associated laboratory component
g. Public Health Track
Courses must be selected from 3 of the 5 fields listed below. Please note that some of these courses have prerequisites outside of the GE/Core program of this major.
- Science (e.g., Chemistry 116L-117L Organic Chemistry and/or Physics 30L-31L General Physics for the Life Sciences)
- Economics (e.g., 109 CM, 129 PO, 187 CM, PHIL180 CM)
- Psychology (e.g., 81 CM, 103 PZ, 107 CM, 111 PZ, 155 CM, 176 PO, 185 CM, 152 SC, 188 PZ, 193 PZ)
- Sociology (e.g., 86 PZ, 120 PZ, 170 PZ, ONT101 PZ, CHLT110 PZ, CHLT153 PZ, ANTH002 PZ/SC, PHIL155 SC)
- Government (e.g., 105 CM, 106 CM, 114 CM, POLI151 SC)